Friday, June 16, 2017

A thing about STYLE

So recently I tried my luck on a board test and I really struggled to find a way to draw the characters. While I am confident drawing in my own style, drawing cartoons is something I really have had to force on myself to try and fit better into this industry. For me cartoons and comics are completely different languages, both beautiful in their own right.

As the trainwreck which is my blog, you can see the path of ugly drawings left in it's trails. But I finally figured something out....

I was trying too hard to come up with cartoon characters...and heck, I am certainly not a character designer. So after filling pages with this new shorthand I was developing, I figured out that I had to strip it down one level. I had to draw a gesture of my cartoon drawings:


Once I got that I used good ol' Jodie as my model for some more doodles:



Went back to my storyboard thumbnails for some more exploration:
Give it another page and the drawings start getting looser:


It is of course all a work in progress, but at least I think I am on the right path. Funny enough when I looked back on my blog I realised I already figured that out previously...for some reason when drawing characters I was not familiar with, I forgot all about the gesture.




No comments:

Post a Comment